- State Leaders are responsible for ensuring that all students meet the age requirements of the contest in which they are registered.
- All contestants must be 14-18 years old as of January 1 of the current year.
- All members must be current members of 4-H.
- Contestants must not have competed in post-secondary (college, university, etc.) competitive events in the same subject area.
- Contestants cannot compete in a contest in which he, or she, had participated previously.
- WARNING!! Secure all valuables.
- If a contestant from your state has a disability and desires any assistance, devices, services, or other accommodations to participate in this conference, please contact Dr. Ken Koelkebeck by OCTOBER 31 at (217) 244-0195 during business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Central time zone) to discuss accommodations.
- As of May 25, 2000, the National 4-H Leadership Council has established the following policy for national 4-H events:
“Each state should provide proof of medical/accident coverage for all participating and non-participating contestants/members during travel to, while at Louisville, and travel from the contest.”
In order to conform to the above policy, please make sure you have made provisions for this coverage from your State 4-H Office. It is NOT necessary to send in a copy of this insurance coverage.
- The address for the official web page of this conference is https://national4hpoultry.ca.uky.edu. This site includes general conference information, such as the rules and Information for each contest area, competition history, schedule of events, maps to the contest, career workshop, and registration link.
- It is important that your registration is reviewed by the appropriate person in each state. Please provide the name and address of one person in each State to whom correspondence should be directed. This should be a Specialist (Poultry, Nutrition, or 4-H), and not a contestant.
A. The Conference is comprised of five competitive events:
1. Poultry Judging Contest - Team and Independent Individual
2. Egg Chef Challenge
3. Chicken Barbeque Contest
4. Turkey Barbeque Contest
5. Avian Bowl Academic Competition
B. Each state can also have a youth delegate apply as an Ambassador to the Specialist committee. They are expected to attend the specialist committee meeting at 3 PM Wednesday afternoon.
- All contest decisions are final. Judge and class committee decisions in all contests are final.
- The proper conduct of participants in the respective contests is important. Disorderly conduct prior to, during, or after each contest will result in a warning to the contestant, coach, or specialist involved. If abusive behavior continues, the contestant (or contestants) will be disqualified from the contest.
The score of the individual in the poultry judging contest will count toward the team score if not more than one person is disqualified from a State. Action concerning a Coach or Specialist will be decided by the Executive Committee of the National 4-H Poultry and Egg Conference.
At no time during the Poultry Judging Contest, Avian Bowl Contest, Chicken and Turkey BBQ Contest and Egg Preparation Demonstration may a contestant, contest monitor, or judge carry a cellular phone and have it on. If personal circumstances warrant the use of one, this needs to be cleared by each contest chairperson.
- Computer-generated graphics are acceptable in the illustrated presentations of the chicken and turkey barbecue contests. Posters must be used in the Egg Preparation Demonstration Contest
- Breaking tie scores: Ties will be handled according to procedures listed for each contest.
- All contestants and coaches must be neat, clean, and appropriately attired (nice slacks and shirts for male contestants, similar attire or blouse/skirt, or dress for female participants. 4-H uniforms will NOT be required.
- Hotel Information
- Schedule of Events: Registration will be at the conference registration table in the lobby of the Crowne Plaza Louisville Airport at 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday. The Conference begins at 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday with a Poultry Career Opportunities Workshop. Unless prior notification is given, all participants except Conference Committee members are expected to participate in all planned activities, including a tour and the get-acquainted party.
- Contest Committee Chairpersons: General questions regarding the Conference may be directed to the Conference Superintendent. Specific questions regarding a contest should be directed to the appropriate Chairperson.
- Awards: The list should be considered a "tentative list". The awards are based on the assumption that our sponsors will support the conference at the same level as in previous years.
NOTE: IF SPONSORSHIP DOES NOT MEET THE LEVEL FOR AWARDS, AWARDS WILL BE REDUCED OR ELIMINATED.
- All specialist committee members are expected to assist in setting up the contest Wednesday afternoon. Only registered participants are allowed to attend the tour of Louisville. 4-H Ambassadors are expected to attend the Extension Specialist Committee meeting at 3 PM at the West Hall, Room 1, Fair and Expo Center.
- There is an activity fee that allows participants to participate in the career workshop, tours, pizza dinner, and awards banquet. Please indicate your participation when registering. FOR 2020, NO PRE-PAYMENT IS REQUIRED. Registration costs are as follows: $50 for each contestant (regardless of the number of contests participating in); $50 for each non-contestant adult; and $25 for each non-contestant youth (ages 0-12 years). In addition, there is an additional charge of $10 per person for anyone, including a non-contestant youth (ages 0-12), participating in a tour. A tour may not be added after the registration deadline. This is because of logistics. Additionally, if anyone wants to purchase a National 4-H Poultry and Egg Conference t-shirt a charge of $18 will be added to the final registration costs.
This conference is for the benefit of the 4-H'ers, so if there is anything that we can do to make this a better learning experience, please let us know.
Dr. Ken Koelkebeck, Superintendent
National 4-H Poultry and Egg Conference
282 Animal Sciences Laboratory, 1207 W. Gregory Drive
University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801
(217) 244-0195, Fax (217) 333-7861, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org