Risk Management Plan
- Each state must verify that all participants, employees, coaches, and volunteers from each Land Grant University has a signed medical form with permission for medical treatment, a photo release and Code of Conduct, Medical/accident Insurance and Liability Coverage from the time of departure from their state until their return.
- Each state must verify that their state has a Risk Management for participants and must follow their LGU plan.
- Each state must verify that all coaches and chaperones accompanying the group have been background checked, screened and accepted as a volunteer by their LGU.
- Volunteers on management teams and/or individuals who work for the management team will be functioning under the operating procedures, practices and scope of duties with oversight and risks associated with their own LGU.
- The event is planned in a manner that does not allow for “one adult to one youth” situations.
- An event Emergency Management Plan will be distributed to the management team, coaches and chaperones.
Emergency Response and Crisis Communication Team
Dr. Ken Koelkebeck Cell: 217-377-6530
Dr. Tony Pescatore Cell: 859-333-7960
NAILE Emergency Response Contact Information
Laura Schroerlucke, 502-367-5291
In every emergency situation, safety is the primary concern. Priority attention is given as follows:
- Care for injured
- Stabilize the situation
- Call 911, police, ambulance as appropriate. Be prepared to give the street address and exact location where the incidence is occurring.
- Contact the conference chairperson – Ken Koelkebeck – who will then contact NAILE and contest chairs as appropriate.
- Cooperate with and follow instructions of emergency responders.
- Work through situations that are not being handled by emergency responders.
Emergency Information for Participants
Participants should have the cell phone number of their chaperone. A designated safe area should be located for your group.
- Norton Audubon hospital
Address: 1 Audubon Plaza Dr, Louisville, KY 40217
Phone: (502) 636-7111
- University of Louisville Hospital
Address: 530 S Jackson St, Louisville, KY 40202
Phone: (502) 562-3000
In Case of a Medical Emergency:
- Do NOT move the injured person.
- Immediately contact your contest chair. If no adult is available, call 911.
- First aid will be administered as appropriate.
In Case of FIRE:
- Youth are NOT to attempt to put out a fire.
- Report the fire to your contest chair immediately.
- Get out of the building and assemble together in the parking lot south of the building.
- Stay outside of the building until released by a member of the conference management team.
In Case of SEVERE WEATHER:
- Remain calm.
- Follow the instructions of your contest chair.
- Go to a designated safe area for the building.
- Conference management team members will monitor National Weather Service announcements and declare the “All Clear” once the threatening weather has passed.
In Case of a MISSING PERSON:
- Alert your contest chair immediately.
- Report details—describe the missing person, location where the individual was last seen, etc.
- A member of the conference management team will quickly organize a “sweep” of the immediate contest area for the missing person.
- If the missing person is not located, a management team member will contact NAILE security.
In Case of an INTRUDER:
- Alert your contest chair immediately.
- Do NOT approach the intruder for any reason.
- A management team member will investigate and notify the local law enforcement and NAILE security as needed.
In Case of a Threat from the Outside:
- Follow the instructions given to you by your contest chair.
- Gather into a safe area of the building.
- Lock all doors and windows if possible.
- One person will call 911
- Remain calm, silent, hidden from view of the intruder, and watch/listen for signals from the safe persons in charge.
- Assist others who have trouble following instructions.
- As soon as possible, conduct a headcount to determine if all are present and/or accounted for.
- As soon as possible, one person will contact a member of the on-site conference management team and explain the situation.